New Homeowner

Ronin

New Homeowner

08 Jun, 2014 9:37 p.m.

My wife and I are brand new homeowners. Just wanted to start a thread for new homeowners. Topic 1: I feel like the only person on my block who doesn't rent an apartment out of their house. There's cars everywhere and it kind of irritates me. Anyone else experience this?

Christian

Re:New Homeowner

09 Jun, 2014 5:09 p.m.

A lot of neighborhoods are full of cars parked on the streets these days (in fact, I'd say the vast majority of the ones I pass through are like that). I'd imagine it's the result of less than stellar public transport (I actually like the LIRR for what it is, but trying to get anywhere by bus is a nightmare), the need for 2+ income households in today's economy, and the rise in kids continuing to live with their parents into their 30s due to a lack of affordable housing. When you put all that together you end up with more cars than you can fit in a standard driveway.

Ronin

11 Jun, 2014 9:34 p.m.

Christian wrote:
A lot of neighborhoods are full of cars parked on the streets these days (in fact, I'd say the vast majority of the ones I pass through are like that). I'd imagine it's the result of less than stellar public transport (I actually like the LIRR for what it is, but trying to get anywhere by bus is a nightmare), the need for 2+ income households in today's economy, and the rise in kids continuing to live with their parents into their 30s due to a lack of affordable housing. When you put all that together you end up with more cars than you can fit in a standard driveway.

Hi Christian. Thanks for responding to my post. I agree with your reasons for all the cars. I think they're all valid and in addition it just seems that the rise of all these in home apartments is indicative of the ridiculous cost of housing here on LI. I just worry that neighborhoods will get increasingly crowded and seedy with all these apartments.

blue13

17 Jun, 2014 9:18 a.m.

HI,
just wondering if this is the normal response for law enforcement on long island. I am retired military just over a year now. Been on and off long island/ suffolk for past few years visiting with friends on weekend leaves from base. Extremly short time but enjoyed. Even registered my children in school. Adjusting for them was a bit more difficult since the school curriculum is very different including the teaching techniques. I wanted to become a first time homebuyer and picked a nice home. On fathers day my boys were walking a two month old puppy when a vehicle pulls up, asks them questions, pulls over two men and women exit vehicle and the men attacked my boys beating them. These attackers are un known, and not knowing to many people around here I assumed they were being robbed of their cell phones, neighbors and the boys were able to call police, boys injured went to hospital, and police mark this as harassment? When i request a photo line up to see pics of people fitting their description, the police say they don't do that and since we don't know the person at all how can they show us pics?....Anyway, I have been all around the world, fought oversees where i sustained my injuries, been stationed in all different states, and i am retired from law enforcement. If stranger on stranger crime is looked at soley as harassment out here on long Island, I need to know before i go to closing. Contracts are signed. Is it just laziness from police, or is this how the crime stats are kept low out here.
Greatly appreciate any response.
Pro Deo Et Patria

Ronin

04 Jul, 2014 10:47 p.m.

blue13 wrote:
HI,
just wondering if this is the normal response for law enforcement on long island. I am retired military just over a year now. Been on and off long island/ suffolk for past few years visiting with friends on weekend leaves from base. Extremly short time but enjoyed. Even registered my children in school. Adjusting for them was a bit more difficult since the school curriculum is very different including the teaching techniques. I wanted to become a first time homebuyer and picked a nice home. On fathers day my boys were walking a two month old puppy when a vehicle pulls up, asks them questions, pulls over two men and women exit vehicle and the men attacked my boys beating them. These attackers are un known, and not knowing to many people around here I assumed they were being robbed of their cell phones, neighbors and the boys were able to call police, boys injured went to hospital, and police mark this as harassment? When i request a photo line up to see pics of people fitting their description, the police say they don't do that and since we don't know the person at all how can they show us pics?....Anyway, I have been all around the world, fought oversees where i sustained my injuries, been stationed in all different states, and i am retired from law enforcement. If stranger on stranger crime is looked at soley as harassment out here on long Island, I need to know before i go to closing. Contracts are signed. Is it just laziness from police, or is this how the crime stats are kept low out here.
Greatly appreciate any response.
Pro Deo Et Patria

SCPD will not investigate anything aggressively unless they are absolutely forced to. I had my car seriously vandalized when I was 18. All windows broken, hood smashed, hoses ripped out, total devastation. I asked the cops to take prints and they refused. I know of several other ppl who have been victims of crimes where SCPD was not willing to investigate.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog