I want to switch my son's school district. I heard you can pay a tuition and get in to a different public school.

Harmindersingh

I want to switch my son's school district. I heard you can pay a tuition and get in to a different public school.

15 Apr, 2012 11:23 p.m.

We currently live in Hicksville and my son attends Hicksville high school. I want to transfer him to Jericho High School. The school he attends is not a good school and is rated in the 300s while Jericho is one of the best schools in ny. We live only a few blocks away from the school border but can not move because we like hour house and it would be too expensive. His school is full of people that do drugs and I have seen a lot of his friends do them too but luckily he is not friends with them anymore. He is in all honors an next year is taking 4 AP classes. We moved from a different town and in that town he had very good grades but when he came here his grades dropped. A lot of his teachers are teachers that have been fired from other districts. I would like to move him very much for his future. I explained to him why I think that and he is fine with it. Also due to his ethnic background of indian and wearing a turban, some teachers treat him differently. I knowing people that live in Jericho that moved from Hicksville whose grades have improved tremendously. I heard that you can pay around 7000 dollars a year to go to a different school district. Is that true? Should I make an appointment with the superintendent or the school board? What can I say to convince them? Also many people go their school illegally and I'm trying to go through the legal method and not use someone else's address.

amyg

Re:I want to switch my son's school district. I heard you can pay a tuition and get in to a different public school.

16 Apr, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Hi,

The answer to this question varies depending on the school district. Some districts simply do not allow this in any case. However, others do, but it is entirely up to the discretion of the district. You would have to pay tuition, which can range between $7,000 and $10,000 annually - those are rough figures.

You are right, many people do switch districts by using a false address...and usually get away with it. As you suggested yourself, the only way to find out if you will be able to switch to the school district of your choice would be to contact the administration of the particular district.

I cannot honestly provide any advice on what argument to pose to make your request more likely. I always say that honesty is the best policy, and if you are selecting a school district based on its educational record, the curriculum offered and its ethnic diversity, I would state those reasons directly. It is clear that you are making what you believe to be the best choice for your son, and I expect that will be clear to the district's representative as well.

I am sorry to hear that you are doing this because your child is experiencing latent discrimination from his peers and teachers. I would encourage you to bring this to the attention of his current district because that is simply unacceptable. Odds are, your son is not the only one dealing with that sort of treatment.

Good luck, and when you contact the district, please let us know what you have found out, in case any other Long Islanders are currently looking for an answer to the same question.

-Amy

Jules

Re:I want to switch my son's school district. I heard you can pay a tuition and get in to a different public school.

27 Jul, 2013 3:08 a.m.

Harm,

I've been looking into the exact same thing and am having a hard time finding out information on school zoning laws on Long Island. We will be moving to Long Island since my husband was offered a job there and I am concerned about the school districts and zoning rules. I currently live in staten island and my daughter attends a public HS and is in the science institute there. She has taken several AP classes and has already passed four regents exams and I am afraid she will not get the same education on Long Island based on what I've read so far. I also would like my daughter to attend Jericho and cannot afford to buy a home in that area. If you happened to find anything out I'd appreciate any info/advice you could share. Thanks, Jules

Allforme

19 Apr, 2015 8:51 p.m.

Is there any update on this ,? I live one house away from a different district and I've enrolled my child in catholic schools for next year. I would love to hear there was an alternative
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog