Fall 2014 - Your Guide to The Season's Best Fun!
While spring might be celebrated from the blooming of flowers and all the colorful foliage that comes along with it, autumn is full of its own variety of pretty plants and scenery. Though there might not be very many flowers to admire the leaves on the trees turn to beautiful shades of yellow and orange, and apple trees bear plenty of bright red apples. As the season progresses you’re sure to find many Long Islanders covering their homes and yards with all manner of festive Halloween decorations.
The fall season is full of fun things to do, from picking apples and taking brisk hikes to braving haunted houses and preparing Thanksgiving dinner. There will be plenty of holiday celebrations and festivals, and when the weather gets cold you can be sure that there will be plenty of fun things to do indoors. Follow the 2014 Fall Season Guide to find all the best places to go and things to do on Long Island and get the most out of your autumn!
Best Bets for Enjoying The Fall
Unfortunately the swimming season comes to an end when fall arrives, but you don’t have to stop having fun just because it’s no longer warm enough to swim! You can visit a local orchard and pick your own apples, then coat some with a candy or caramel shell and bake a tasty apple pie out of the others! Halloween means there will be plenty of festive frightful fun all across the Island, and you’ll be grateful for all the great food on Thanksgiving. There are also many other activities to enjoy besides the usual holiday traditions!
|Pumpkin Patches||Apple Picking||Haunted Houses|
|Hay Rides||Corn Mazes||Halloween Festivals|
|Real Haunts||Fall Foliage Hiking Spots||Fall Farmers' Markets|
|Peaceful Trails||Fall Festivals||Local Parks|
A Season's Worth of Rainy Day Fun
There are a lot of fun outdoor activities to enjoy during the fall, but when the temperature gets a little too cold or the skies start pouring rain there are still a ton of ways to have fun on Long Island. Indoor haunted houses are a safe bet throughout October no matter the weather, most museums are open year-round, and you can always count on a local theater or cinema to show a good play or movie. If you’re looking for something on the quieter side, head to the library and pick out a new book or two!
|Laser Tag||Roller Skating Rinks||Museums|
|Local Libraries||Indoor Play Areas||Bowling Alleys|
Fall's Bountiful Holiday Happenings
The beautiful, leaf-strewn months of autumn kick off the start of the holiday season with a bang! Or should I say, a BOO! First off is the frightfully fun night of tricks and treats, All Hallows' Eve, where you get to have a howling good time dressed up as someone else for the night then gorge yourself with candy, whether you’re a kid or not! In November comes Thanksgiving, an extra special time for all to reflect on the people and things in life they are grateful for, and share that love and appreciation with their family and friends over a delicious meal.
More Holiday Fun
Now that you've gotten the scoop on the biggest holidays of the season, check out these smaller celebrations and observances, and make the most of the Fall Season!
- Labor Day
- Patriot Day
- Rosh Hashanna
Columbus Day - Coming Soon!
- Columbus Day Weekend 2014 Family Fun
Veterans Day - Coming Soon!
- Showing Your Respect and Appreciation This Veterans Day
Get into the Swing of Things this Season
This autumn is sure to be full of many fun activities for you to enjoy with your friends and family. In addition to our great resources and Monthly Guides, we have assembled numerous special features on things to do, local entertainment, family fun, and much more!
Entertainment & Fall Fun
- Long Island's Guide to Fall Festivities
- Awesome Apple Picking Places & Helpful Tips
- Packing Prep for Freshmen Leaving to Go Away to College
- Cruising into Autumn: September Classic Car Shows
- September’s Fall Festivals for All Things Autumn
- Making Fall Chores Fun With The Whole Family
- Enjoying the East End this Autumn: Wine Tasting, Foliage, and More
- Cycling Through Autumn: Bike Paths with Beautiful Fall Foliage
- Awesome Art Exhibits Around Long Island
- Ahoy, Talk Like A Pirate Day is September 19th!
- Sink a Hole-In-One in Celebration of National Mini Golf Day!
- Designing Your Own One-of-a-Kind Scarecrow
- National Comic Book Day Is September 25th!
- The Best in Free Fall Events: Apples, Music, and Fishing Festivals
- Camping Underneath the Fall Foliage: Campsites that are Open Through Autumn
- September 27th is Free Museum Day!
- Corn Mazes Across Long Island
- Pumpkin Picking Destinations on Long Island This Fall
Just for Kids
- Fun Ways to Decorate Your Pumpkin, No Carving Necessary! - Coming Soon!
- Getting Ready for Back-to-School: The Things You Need
- Get in the Back-to-School Mindset: Mentally Getting Ready for School
- Back to School in Style with New Fall Trends
- Unique Spots to Throw Your Kid's Next Birthday Bash
- Lovable Lunchbox Notes to Leave the Kids
- What Your Library Can Do For You: Back to School Library Resources
- Top Car Trip Games to Keep Kids Busy While Driving to the East End
- Get Kids Moving: Fall Fun Runs
- After-School Enrichment Activities for Your Child
- Creatively Cool Textbook Covers for Class
- Where to Find Furry Friends to Pet This Fall
- Art Classes for Kids: Let Your Little Artist Shine!
- An Autumn Day Scavenger Hunt
- Indoor Play Places to Enjoy this Season
- Petting Zoo Fun and What You Need to Know about Staying Clean & Healthy
Fall Fun for Adults
- Halloween Parties Across the Island for Adults - Coming Soon!
- Fun Festive Decor For Fall
- Get Your Scare on at a Spook Walk or Trail
- Fall Cooking Classes for Adults
- Fall Beer Tasting: Octoberfest, Stouts, and Plenty of Pumpkin
- Frugal and Fun Fall Date Ideas
- Fun Festive Décor For Fall
- UFC’s The Ultimate Fighter Season 20
- Fall Home Brewing for Beginners
- Oktoberfest 2014 Has Arrived On Long Island!
- Opt for Mass Transit This September 22 in Honor of Car Free Day
- Bibliophile Fun: Fall Book Signings and Readings
- Fall Concert Lineup: Flogging Molly, Steve Miller Band, and More
- Must See 2014 Fall Theatre Productions
Sweet Fall Treats - Recipes & Recommendations!
- Homemade Candy and Confection Recipes
- Super Scrumptious School Lunch Sandwiches
- Fall Farmers’ Markets on Long Island
- Recipes That Put a Sweet Spin on Fresh Picked Apples
- School Lunches For Non-Sandwich Eaters
- Top Ten Cooking Classes on Long Island
- Fun Finger Foods for Football Season
- Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Recipes that Combine the Tastes of Autumn
- Savor Oktoberfest with these Traditional German Delights
This Season's Monthly Family Fun Guides
Make the most out of every month here on Long Island by checking out our Monthly Family Fun Guides! Packed with the best upcoming events & entertainment for the month, these are guides you won't want to miss!
Don't forget to check out our 2014 Halloween Guide for the scoop on local haunted houses, tips on where to go trick-or-treating, and lots of scary-good fun!
Have a Suggestion for our Fall Fun Page? Let Us Know!