The original Shelter Island Golf Links was built in the 1890s by an unknown architect on property known as the Dering Farm. It is, without a doubt, one of the oldest courses in the United States. In 1915, the 18-hole facility was renamed the Manhasset Club and, at that time, offered a casino as well as outdoor activities. In 1926, it was once more renamed The Dering Harbor Club. However, in 1942, the club was closed and lima beans planted to support the war effort. In 1948, the property was restored to its original purpose and given its current name. The course measures 6,359 yards from its longest tees and has a par value of 70, a rating of 69.3 and a slope of 121. It is challenging and interesting from the first hole to the last and may very well be the best private golf value on the East End. Golfers of all levels will enjoy both the game and the scenic views along this tranquil course. They will also appreciate dining indoors in the new clubhouse facilities or on the lovely terraces. Catering services are available for special occasions.