Long Island Business Directory
"Wind Chill Advisory"
...Wind Chill Advisory remains in effect until noon EST today...
* locations...New York City...Long Island and portions of
northeastern New Jersey.
* Hazard types...dangerous wind chills.
* Timing...this morning.
* Wind chill...15 to 24 degrees below zero.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Impacts...the frigid conditions will be dangerous to those
venturing outside. Prolonged exposure may cause frostbite. The
combination of very low wind chills and frigid air temperatures
have the potential to result in frozen pipes...frostbite and
A Wind Chill Advisory means that very cold air and strong winds
will combine to generate low wind chills. This will result in
frost bite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken.
Outdoor exposure should be limited. If you are heading outdoors...
dress in layers and keep your hands and head covered to protect
...Dangerously cold wind chills this morning...
* temperatures this morning range from near zero to 10 degrees
below during this time...coupled with strong...gusty winds...are
expected to produce life threatening wind chills as cold as 20
to 30 degrees below zero.
* High temperatures today will only be in the teens...with wind
chills likely not rising above zero until mid to late afternoon.
* Cold spells of this magnitude bring a risk of frostbite and
hypothermia for anyone who does not take proper precautions. In
addition...frozen pipes and overworked furnaces could leave your
house without heat or running water...and car batteries run the
risk of dying.
* Never venture outdoors without wearing gloves...a hat and
several layers of clothing. Wind chill values late Saturday
night into Sunday morning could lead to frostbite in less than
30 minutes if proper precautions are not taken.
* Run water at a trickle and keep Cabinet doors open to prevent
pipes from freezing.
* Never use a stove or oven to heat your home or use an open flame
to melt frozen pipes. Many house fires result from these
* Check tire pressure and your car battery. Be sure your car has
a winter safety kit that includes a blanket...warm clothes and
gloves in case your car breaks down or becomes stranded.
* Take extra steps to keep your pets warm and know their limits to
-- Sunday Feb.14 16,11:48 AM
Traffic Cams |
Long Island Business is a comprehensive directory of businesses located on Long Island New York.
Find businesses by category or use our search feature to look up businesses by name, keyword, town
or zip code. Long Island Business is an online phone book with listing, information and details of all
types of business on Long Island. If your business is targeting the Long Island market,
this is where you should be advertising
Take a look at our pricing page to see how easy and cost-effective it is to list your business
in the Long Island Business Directory.
The Business Directory for Long Island, New York