Hospital with Physicians Office on Long Island Wins Award for Best Mobile App
Hospital for Special Surgery, which has an affiliated physicians office in Uniondale, has received an award for its free mobile app.
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), which has an affiliated physicians office in Uniondale, has received an award for its free mobile app. The hospital received the Gold Award for Best Mobile Communications from the Healthcare Leadership Awards at the Healthcare Internet Conference in Orlando, Florida on November 8.
The award-winning application was released earlier this year by Hospital for Special Surgery, ranked as one of the country's leading hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology. The app enables people to learn about a host of muscle, bone and joint conditions; find a physician; make an appointment; get directions; and access a list of health and wellness classes, among other functions.
"Mobile technology can educate and empower people, and it may help them maintain good health," said a hospital spokesperson. "We are pleased to offer this user-friendly option to patients, so they can access information on their smartphones or iPads while they are on the move."
The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. More than 2,400 people have downloaded it to date. The technology enables users to:
* Learn about common conditions, including links to the full "Conditions and Treatments" index on www.hss.edu.
* View a complete list of Hospital for Special Surgery physicians, including those practicing on Long Island, or search by body part or specialty.
* Explore physician bios with contact information, maps and directions to office locations.
* Activate one-touch calling for physician offices and the hospital's Physician Referral Department, which can assist people with choosing a doctor.
* See a complete list of HSS rehabilitation centers, including contact information with maps and directions.
* View a map of the complete Hospital for Special Surgery campus, including nearby transportation and parking.
* Browse a complete list of public and patient education programs, complete with links to registration and one-touch adding to your iPhone or iPad calendar.
* Learn more about HSS and the Long Island office and get in touch with the hospital directly within the app.
For more information or to download the app, visit www.hss.edu/app. For more information about the HSS Physicians Office on Long Island, visit www.hss.edu/longisland.
About the HSS Affiliated Physicians Office in Uniondale
The Hospital for Special Surgery Affiliated Physicians Office is located at 333 Earle Ovington Boulevard, Suite 106, Uniondale, Long Island. Telephone: 516.222.8881. Specialties include foot and ankle, hand/upper extremity, hip and knee, spine, pediatric orthopedics and scoliosis, physiatry, sports medicine and shoulder surgery. For more information, visit www.hss.edu/longisland.
About Hospital for Special Surgery
Founded in 1863, Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is a world leader in orthopedics, rheumatology and rehabilitation. HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 in orthopedics, No. 2 in rheumatology, No. 19 in neurology, and No. 16 in geriatrics by U.S.News & World Report (2011-12), and has received Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Service from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, and has one of the lowest infection rates in the country. From 2007 to 2011, HSS has been a recipient of the HealthGrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award. A member of the NewYork-Presbyterian Healthcare System and an affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College, HSS provides orthopedic and rheumatologic patient care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital at New York Weill Cornell Medical Center. All Hospital for Special Surgery medical staff are on the faculty of Weill Cornell Medical College. The hospital's research division is internationally recognized as a leader in the investigation of musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases. Hospital for Special Surgery is located in New York City and online at www.hss.edu.