10 To The 100th: Potentially A Veteran Project, Too

LongIsland.com

Print Email

Google is entertaining entries for their 10 to the 100th Project: a call for ideas to change the world by helping as many people as possible. While the odds are great, with a little luck (maybe... lots a luck) my entry just might make it into the finals.

Google's Project

To quote Google: Why this project? Never in history have so many people had so much information, so many tools at their disposal, so many ways of making good ideas come to life. Yet at the same time, so many people, of all walks of life, could use so much help, in both little ways and big. In the midst of this, new studies are reinforcing the simple wisdom that beyond a certain very basic level of material wealth, the only thing that increases individual happiness over time is helping other people. In other words, helping helps everybody, helper and helped alike. The question is: what would help? And help most? At Google, we don't believe we have the answers, but we do believe the answers are out there. Maybe in a lab, or a company, or a university -- but maybe not. Maybe the answer that helps somebody is in your head, in something you've observed, some notion that you've been fiddling with, some small connection you've noticed, some old thing you have seen with new eyes. If you have an idea that you believe would help somebody, we want to hear about it. We're looking for ideas that help as many people as possible, in any way, and we're committing the funding to launch them. You can submit your ideas and help vote on ideas from others. Final idea selections will be made by an advisory board. Good luck, and may those who help the most win.

My Idea

Served Your Country Now Let Us Serve You: Having served your country, your service entitles you to many benefits provided by a variety of public and private sources. Yet the process of learning about and getting to these benefits can be daunting, with the 'directions' you are given overwhelming and the 'answers' you obtain misleading or downright wrong. As a current service-member or a veteran of military service, we can efficiently assist you in locating the federal, state, county, and local government, veteran and non-profit organizations, universities, businesses, and individual veteran service officers, all who have a personal interest in helping you obtain the benefits you deserve as quickly and as fully as you deserve.

Your Help

More from Google: A selection of Google employees will review all the ideas submitted and select 100 for public consideration. The 100 top ideas will be announced at the end of January, 2009, at which point we will invite the public to select twenty semi-finalists. An advisory board will then choose up to five final ideas for funding and implementation. We plan to announce these winners in early February, 2009.

If my idea makes it to the top 100, I'll let you know how you can help push it into the top 20!

--- Regards, Walt Schmidt