Adopt Your Best Friend: July 31st is Mutt's Day
A cute dog or cat can make a family or home complete. Instead of buying your friend or new family member, adopt an animal from ...
Developed in 2005, National Mutt's Day is celebrated twice a year on July 31st and December 2nd. Why two days? Because shelters become overpopulated very easily and building the awareness to adopt can get animals into safe and happy homes. The focus of this day is on mixed breeds aka mutts.
While many people want pure breeds there are benefits to adopting mixed breed pets, which include that they generally are healthier, better behaved, live longer, and can perform the same abilities that pure breeds can.
Cannot adopt and still want to make a difference? Donations and volunteering at shelters help take care of many mixed breed dogs and give them love until they find their forever homes.
So, check out a shelter for your new best friend or family member! Not much of a dog person? There are many great mixed breed cats or other animals that need homes too!
- Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyards Horse Rescue - Baiting Hollow
- Chin Friends Chinchilla Rescue - Middle Island
- Yorkie 911 Rescue - Deer Park
- All Miniature Pinscher Rescue Service - Johnson City
- Double D Bar Ranch - Manorville
- Forgotten Friends of Long Island - Plainview
- Long Road Home Rescue - Manhasset
- Save the Animals Rescue Foundation - Middle Island
- Pet Peeves - Woodbury
- The Purrfect Kitty - Plainview
- Turtle Rescue of Long Island - Centereach
Have you adopted a friend/family member? Where did you adopt your pet? Tell us where and your story below!