It is very expensive to travel and you have been feeling that the summer is flying by if you do not have a vacation. Many people live on Long Island and do not actually experience all the island has to offer. So, planning a staycation can be a great way to not only to save money, but learn to appreciate everything that Long Island has to offer.
There are many destinations that you can go to on the island. Many people look toward the North Fork and the South Fork of the island because there is more open space and less congestion. Others might look toward Manhattan because of the restaurants and shows available. Whichever place you go on the island, you will find plenty to do close to home.
Here are some great staycation ideas for Long Island.
- New York City/Manhattan: Starting west, Long Islanders may enough hopping on the LIRR and traveling into Manhattan to enjoy the entertainment of Broadway shows and some of the best restaurants in the country.
- Museums: Every consider traveling the island and visiting the various museums. You can start in the west with Manhattan-based museums and work your way east to the museums in the North Fork.
- Wineries: Many wineries are out East, visiting out east, it might be wonderful to enjoy the wineries and staying out by the wineries in a hotel or bed and breakfast.
- Beaches: Ever consider traveling the island to various beaches? There are so many beaches on the island with different amenities. Consider seeing the difference between the north and south shores.
- Amusement Parks: There are quite a few amusement parks on the island. If you are looking for something exciting to do, consider visiting the various amusement parks and staying close to them.
- Hiking/Camping Staycation: There are many hiking and camping trials on the island, traveling to these trials and camping could be a great way to connect with nature and get away from the hustle and bustle of city/suburban life.
- Fire Island: With plenty of beaches, state parks, and more than a few top notch restaurants, Fire Island has become a sort of seaside resort right in Long Island’s own backyard.
- Montauk: The end of Long Island is known for its great beaches, plentiful accommodations, and great boating and fishing spots. It’s the perfect place for a weekend getaway.
- The Hamptons: Many people have made a second home of the Hamptons, and for good reason. This section of Long Island has tons of beaches, boutiques, farm stands, and vineyards to provide all kinds of entertainment.
Do you have any great Long Island Staycation ideas? Tell us in the comments below!