Lace Up for a Good Cause: Summer 2014 Fun Runs and Charity Runs
Grab a friend and run on down to these local 5ks and other races that all benefit not-for-profits in your area!
This summer, get off the couch and get outside to practice for the many fun runs and charity runs that will be held across Long Island. Many of the runs are sponsored by local running and walking clubs, which also offer running groups in different age brackets and ability levels, including walking groups and fun runs for kids. Grab a friend or colleagues and motivate one another to try for your personal best, and be sure to register for these events in advance, as spots may fill up fast!
- July 13: Thunder Run 5k – A 5k race will be held at Hidden Pond Park at Hauppauge in support of the Rolling Thunder Special Needs Program. The race starts at 9 a.m., and a 1k kids fun run will be held at 8:30 a.m.
- July 19: Joe Koziarz Memorial 5K Run & Walk – Joe Koziarz was the director of the McFarland and Koziarz Funeral Home in Westhampton Beach for many years, and was also an avid runner. In his memory, this 5k will start at the post office on Main Street in Westhampton Beach at 8:30 a.m., and there will be a kids fun run at 8:15 a.m. Admission is $20 before June 30, and $25 for late registration.
- July 19: Race to Cure Cystic Fibrosis – Support those with cystic fibrosis and cystic fibrosis research by running in this charitable race in Sayville. There will be a 4-mile run, a 2-mile walk, a kids’ fun run, and a barbecue to follow. Registration begins at 4 p.m., the fun run/walk will start at 5:30 p.m., and the kids fun run will begin at 6:30 p.m.
- July 29: Marcum Long Island Workplace Challenge – Make a team with friends from work for this team-building exercise of a 3.5 mile run at Field 5 at Jones Beach. Admission is $22-25 in advance, and $30 the day of the race.
- August 2: Larry Elovich 5k Fun Run/Walk – In memory of Larry Elovich, an avid runner, all proceeds from this race will go towards the Larry Elovich Scholarship Fund, which donates 100% of its funds to a college-bound student graduating from Long Beach. This run will start at New York Avenue and West Broadway in Long Beach at 9 a.m., and admission is $20.
- August 2: Hon. John P. Cohalan Summerfest 4-Mile Run – Runners at this Sayville run will be broken into 5 different age groups from 14 and under up to 90 plus. There will also be a free kids’ fun run. The event begins at 9:20 a.m., and admission is $20 per person in advance, and $25 per person on the day of the race.
- August 2: Massapequa Park Mile Run – The Massapequa Road Runners are hosting this mile run at Park and Clark Boulevards, with several heats for men, women, and masters. Adult races start at 9 a.m., and a fun run for children will be held at 10:15 a.m. Admission is $13 before July 30 and $20 after that.
- August 7: Corporate Fun Run/Walk 5k – Sign up with a team from your workplace to promote workplace fitness and camaraderie! The run will be held at Bethpage Ballpark in Central Islip. Doors open at 5 p.m., the race will be 6:30-7:30 p.m., and a party will follow from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Runners must register by July 28.
- August 10: Strides for Life 9 – Join the Lung Cancer Research Foundation for this 3-mile run/walk around Lake Agawam in Southampton. Admission is $40 per runner, and all proceeds will go to support lung cancer research.
- August 17: 19th Annual Ellen’s Run – Ellen Hermanson was a breast cancer fighter, activist, and advocate. All proceeds from the run will go to benefit the Ellen Hermanson Foundation, Ellen’s Well, and the Ellen Hermanson Breast Center at Southampton Hospital. The run will take place at Parrish Memorial Hall at Southampton Hospital at 9 a.m. General admission is $30, and child/senior admission is $25 per person.