Berry picking has gotten more and more popular every year. From young to old, picking strawberries, blueberries, or any local berries is enjoyable and there is a lot one can do with the berries.
There are some details to keep in mind with berry picking. One does not simply grab berries from a bush, you need to insure you are picking proper ones. Berries found in woods and not in gardens or from farms should be avoided because some are poisonous. When you are at a reliable place to pick berries, keep these tips in mind:
- Blueberries: The bigger the better with these berries since the bigger berries are sweet. Avoid small, white, and hard. They will be very sour.
- Strawberries: Smaller strawberries have more flavor, but be sure the strawberries are full red. If the berry is partially white than it is not ripe yet.
- Raspberries: Depending on the type, they should be colorful and firm. Be gentle when picking as to avoid squishing them.
Now that you understand the perfect berries to pick, check out all the places where you can pick berries on the island:
- Woodside Nursery & Garden Center - Patchogue
- Golden Earthworm Organic Farm - Riverhead
- Hank's Farmstand - Southampton
- Lewin Farms - Calverton
- Wickham's Fruit Farm - Cutchogue
- Windy Acres Farm - Calverton
- Fort Salonga Farms - Northport
Where do you like to berry pick? Tell us in the comments below!