Keeping Kids Busy This Summer 2014
With school out and a whole summer ahead for your and your kids, it might get a little boring to just sit at home. Be ...
It is not easy to keep kids happy, particularly over the summer. Some kids will be lucky enough to go to camp, either sleep-away, travel, or day. But, with the way the economy is, it is understandable that many kids cannot enjoy a camp or even a vacation. No needs to worry! There is plenty to do on the island and even at a minimal cost.
One of the best activities that kids can take part in over the summer is with your local library's summer reading program. New York Summer Reading at New York Libraries is promoting children of all ages to keep their minds stimulated and help retain everything they have learned during the school year. Additionally, some reluctant readers might find a passion for reading with this program and enjoy the prizes that come with reading with this program. There are plenty of libraries hosting the program, so be sure to contact your library to register!
In addition to keeping our kids minds moving, we also need to keep their bodies moving as well. In addition to checking out our ever-growing events page, check out our list of great things to do this summer!
- Visit Museums for Workshops: A lot of museums on the island offer workshops in addition to enjoying the museum. It can be both educational and fun!
- Visit a Spray Park: Many parks on the island offer spray parks or sprinkler park so kids have a fun and safe place to cool off if the water park is too busy.
- Or Check Out a Pool: There are many pools, indoor and outdoor, on the island that you can bring your family to and cool off there as well.
- Spend Time at a Skate Park: Roller blade? Skateboard? There are various skate parks open this summer for a fun and safe place to skate.
- Amusement Parks: There are various amusement parks and water parks on the island that the kids can have fun in.
- Festivals and Fairs: Many towns on the island are hosting fun festivals all summer long, so be sure to check them out.
- Visit a State Park: There are so many beautiful state parks and many of them are on the island. Enjoy a picnic, playgrounds, or beaches (depending on the state park).
- It Might Not Be Too Late to Sign-Up for Camp: There are many great camps on the island, some will still taking registration.
- Volunteer: Use your time for others and have your kids volunteer their time for a great cause.
Above anything else, have fun this summer with your kids! What are your kids planning to do this summer? Tell us in the comments below!