National Photography Month is May every year and is a celebration of the art of photography. For this month, many photography organizations offer contests and events to get involved in. If you are not an avid photographer, this might be a time to consider picking up a camera and bring to take pictures.
Even if you are not a photographer, you can still enjoy photos that other people have taken. Some take pictures of scenery or portraits for artistic purposes. Additionally, photography can be used for document purposes. Documentary photography is not only beautiful, but can also unlock a particular time period that we may not have lived through.
So, check out the various gallery events taking place on the island and enjoy someone's art work for the end of National Photography Month.
- Huntington Arts Council: A Day on Long Island at Main Street Petite Gallery - Huntington
- METROPOLIS Photography Exhibit at Alex Ferrone Photography Gallery - Cutchogue
- Southampton Artists Association: Memorial Day Member Show at Southampton Cultural Center - Southampton
- Exposed: Eadweard Muybridge and the Study of Motion at Heckscher Museum of Art - Huntington
- TULIPS Slide Presentation of Photography by Holly Gordon at Bay Shore-Brightwaters Library - Bay Shore
- Alchemy and Metaphysics Art Show at Brooklyn Art Space - Brooklyn
- Crown Heights Neighbors at Brooklyn Children's Museum - Brooklyn
- Liz Deschenes: Stereographs #1-4 (Rise/Fall) at Miguel Abreu Gallery - New York
- Alex Harsley: A Visual History of the Lower East Side/East Village at June Kelly Gallery - New York
- In a World of Their Own: Coney Island Photographs by Aaron Rose at Museum of the City of New York - New York
- Caio Reisewitz at International Center of Photography - New York
- Urbes Mutantes: Latin American Photography 1944-2013 at International Center of Photography - New York
- Jonathan Calm: Chambers at LMAKprojects - New York
- Matthew Buckingham, Zoe Leonard, Gordon Matta-Clark at Murray Guy - New York
- Photography Collection at Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) - New York
Any great photography galleries on the island? Tell us in the comments below!