Arbor Day 2014: Celebrate the Trees at Botanical Gardens, Arboretums, and Nature Preserves
Although Earth Day has passed, you can celebrate nature still with Arbor Day this April 25th. Check out Arboretums and Nature Preserves in the area ...
The first Arbor Day was created in the late 1800s and is now facilitated by The Arbor Day Foundation which promotes the planting, nurturing, and the celebrating of trees. Every state celebrates Arbor Day at different time and New York celebrates Arbor Day on the last Friday of April, which turns out to be National Arbor Day as well this year.
So, how do you celebrate arbor day? Donations to the Arbor Day Foundations are encouraged so they can plant trees, but you can plant trees yourself. Additionally, you can help plan a forest or park clean up to help ensure the trees can continue to grow.
Trees are very important to your ecosystem as they not only provide beauty and wood, but also what we need to live, food and air.
So celebrate trees and nature this Friday and this weekend with a visit to a botanical garden, arboretum, or nature preserve.
- Clark Botanic Garden - Albertson
- Old Westbury Gardens - Old Westbury
- Bridge Gardens - Bridgehampton
- The John P. Humes Japanese Stroll Garden - Mill Neck
- Bailey Arboretum - Lattingtown
- Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park - Oyster Bay
- Hofstra Arboretum - Hempstead
- LIU Post Community Arboretum - Brookvile
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum - Great River
- LongHouse Reserve - East Hampton
- Madoo Conservancy - Sagaponack
- Tanglewood Park and Preserve - Lakeview
- Sweetbriar Nature Center - Smithtown
- Caleb Smith State Park Preserve - Smithtown
- Connetquot River State Park Preserve - Oakdale
- Cranberry Bog County Nature Preserve - Riverhead
- David A. Sarnoff Pine Barrens Preserve - Riverhead
- Tackapausha Museum and Preserve - Seaford
- Muttontown Preserve - Syosset
- Sands Point Preserve - Port Washington
- Welwyn Nature Preserve - Glen Cove
- Garvies Point Museum and Preserve - Glen Cove
- Massapequa Preserve - Massapequa
- Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center - Oyster Bay
- Twin Lakes Preserve - Wantagh
How will you celebrate Arbor Day? Tell us in the comment below!