Skip the Super Market and Try a Farmers Market: Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Now that the weather is improving, farmers markets are beginning to start functioning for the year. Try some local produce and goods!
Choosing to shop at a local farmers market is not only beneficial for you, but also to the community. Many people selling at these markets grow fruits and vegetables organically at prices that are very competitive to whole sale organic food you would buy in a grocery store.
Additionally, by buying from a local vendor, one is promoting the economy in a community. While grocery stores import fruits and vegetables from other states and countries which adds to the cost of the produce. If grown locally, a person within the community will be supported and promote farming on Long Island.
Looking for more than just fruits and vegetables? Farmers markets do more than just sell produce, many local bakers and chefs make bread and prepared food that can be purchased fresh. Also, want to plant for yourself? Some markets will be selling flowers and plants that you can bring home to grow for yourself!
So, check out a local farmers market and support your community!
- Baldwin Farmers Market - Baldwin - Every Saturday through April 26th
- Huntington Farmers Market - Huntington - Every Sunday through April 27th
- 2014 Spring Plant Sale @ Farmingdale State College - Farmingdale - May 6th through May 8th
- Greenfest - Kennedy Plaza - Long Beach - May 24th
- Huntington Center Farmers Market - Huntington - Starts June 1st through November 23rd Every Sunday
- Rockville Centre Farmers Market - Rockville Centre - Starts June 1st through November 23rd Every Sunday
- Locust Valley Farmers Market - Locust Valley - Starts June 1st through November 15th Every Tuesday and Saturday
- Islip Farmers Market - Islip - Starts June 1st through November 23rd Every Saturday
- Port Jefferson Green Fest - Port Jefferson - June 14th
- Port Jefferson Farmers Market - Port Jefferson - Starts July 4th through October 17th Every Thursday
- Patchogue Farmers Market - Patchogue - Starts July 5th through November 15th Every Friday
- Riverhead Farmers Market - Riverhead - Starts July 11th through October 24th Every Thursday
So you go to farmers markets? What is your favorite item to pick up?
Do you know of other farmers markets going on on Long Island?
Tell us in the comments below!