Slurp Them Down! Clams on a Half Shell Day!
March 31st is Clams on a Half Shell Day! So if you enjoy eating clams, make March 31st your day to go out and enjoy ...
No one is truly sure of the origin of Clams on a Half Shell Day, but the reasoning behind the holiday is understandable. The day is meant for people who enjoy eating clams!
Unfortunately, not every enjoys clams on a half shell and it takes getting used to. Basically, you are enjoying raw clams. But, you cannot simply go to the beach, pick up a clam, and eat it. The clam starts out as alive and must be cleaned and soaked in water to remove sand and dirt. After soaking, you will have to shuck the clam, or remove one shell before putting it on ice.
Unless you are a professional, it is not recommended for anyone to go this themselves because you can get very sick. Luckily, there are many Long Island restaurant that offer clams on a half shell, so you do not have to worry about preparing your own clams.
So, check out on of the many seafood restaurants that Long Island has to offer and get yourself an order of clams!
- Captain Bill's Restaurant - Bayshore
- Off Key Tiki - Patchogue
- The Snapper Inn - Oakdale
- Fatfish Wine Bar and Bistro - Bayshore
- Volpe Ristorante - Woodbury
- H2O Seafood Grill Sushi Bar - Smithtown
- Pace's Steak House - Hauppauge
- Prime Restaurant - Huntington
- Tellers Restaurant - Islip
- Verace Restaurant - Islip
- 21 Main Prime Steakhouse - West Sayville
Even if you do not enjoy clams on a half shell, enjoy the many other seafood cuisines these restaurants offer!
Do you like clams on a half shell? Do you prepare your own? Tell us all about it in the comments below!