Saint Patrick's Day is almost here, and this year, the holiday falls on a Monday. What does that mean for you, Long Island? That most likely you'll be able to enjoy a weekend full of fun and festivities in honor of St. Pat's! Whether you're planning to visit one of the many local bars here on LI that will be getting into the spirit of the holiday with green beer and corned beef & cabbage, or you're checking out one of the concerts this weekend, or checking out one of the Saint Patrick's Day Parades happening locally this weekend, the more important thing to remember is staying safe! We've put together some great tips and tricks for staying safe this holiday as you get out there and enjoy all things Irish, so that no matter how you celebrate this holiday, you can have a good time.
The MTA is already anticipating many party goers this Monday for St. Patrick's Day. They will be adding 14 more trains for Monday as to accommodate the St. Patrick's Day Parade in NYC and make sure you get home safely.
Remember LIRR rules, if you do not know them already:
- No alcoholic beverages will be allowed on the train all day.
- Be sure to buy your tickets before boarding
In addition to the rules by the MTA, there are some personal rules you should follow as you head out to any party or parade in celebration of St. Patty's Day. These rules for safety are written in mind that you and everyone around you should return home safely.
- Know Your Limits: Everyone wants to enjoy themselves, but know your limit. You do not want to become a burden on others and should at least remember what you did during the night.
Have a Taxi Number in Your Phone and Memorized: If your designated driver drinks and no one is your party is sober, do not drive drunk! Your car is not worth more than your life. Below is a list of taxi companies you can call. If all else fails, have a staff member at your venue call one for you.
- Metro Limosines - (516) 546-6737
- Farmingdale Taxi Service - (516) 249-1212
- Long Island Yellow Cab - (631) 226-0600
- Sunset Taxi - (631) 669-4200
- Taxi Las Americas - (631) 206-5555
- Tracy-Bosch Taxi - (631) 669-0900
- Have a Designated Driver: If you are taking a car with your party, someone has to abstain from drinking for the night. This will ensure that everyone will get home safely. There are also local companies that specifically offer Designated Driver Services - click here to find out more!
- Travel in Numbers: At the parade and at parties, there will be many people and it is better to stay together. Do not allow members of your party to go off with strangers.
- Keep Your Wallet in Your Front Pocket/Watch Your Purse: Sadly, people will take advantage of people who are having fun. Keep valuables close.
- Watch Your Drink: If you put it down and walk away, consider your drink gone. Who knows who could have picked it up or put something in it? Remember, there is no shame bringing your drink to the bathroom with you.
- Charge Your Phone and Put It in Energy Saver Mode: If you are traveling with others or going to drive home, be sure to have a full charge and use your phone sparingly. Some bars offer charging stations for a price, but why should you be worrying about a charging phone when you should be having fun?
- Have Someone Know Where You Are: It is always beneficial to have someone know where you will be for the night. Just in case anyone is misplaced during the night and to prevent family and friends from worrying.
Be safe. Do not drink and drive.
How will you be celebrating St. Patrick's Day? At a bar? At the parade?
Tell us in the comments below!