Shamrock ‘n’ Roll: Where to Hear Irish Music to Celebrate St. Paddy’s Day
Get in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day and check out some of these concerts to enjoy traditional and non-traditional Irish music!
It’s hard not to ignore the foot-tapping beats of Irish music, and there are many venues around Long Island that will be bringing world-renowned Irish musicians to their stages. Ranging from traditional Irish music to more modern takes on the classics, this music is sure to get you out of the winter blues and into the St. Paddy’s Day spirit. We have some big names coming to Long Island this month, including Black 47, the Irish expats who have been rockin’ the Bronx since the 80s, and punk rockers the Dropkick Murphys. For those who prefer the calmer classics, the Celtic Tenors will be in Huntington the day before St. Patrick’s Day to transport you to Ireland and invoke the sounds of the Emerald Isle.
Here are some concerts and happenings where you can hear Irish music this month:
- March 8: Black 47 is having their farewell performance as they tour for the last time and rock the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts in Bay Shore at 8 p.m.
- March 9: Dervish, a traditional Irish band, will play at the Adelphi University Performing Arts Center at 7 p.m.
- March 11: Irish-American punk rock group Dropkick Murphys will be playing the Paramount in Huntington at 8 p.m. with special guests Lucero and Skinny Lister.
- March 12: Aileen O' Connor O'Rourke, Eamonn O'Rourke and special guest musicians John Morrison and the award-winning button accordion player John Whelan will perform traditional Irish music on the stage of Peconic Landing in Greenport starting at 8 p.m.
- March 15: Though the music won’t be live, the DJ will be spinning Irish bands like The Pogues in between live punk rock sets at the St. Patrick's Day Punk Rock Bash at Club Revolution in Amityville, starting at 10 p.m.
- March 16: The Celtic Tenors, one of the most famous classical crossover groups to come from Ireland, will take the stage at the Paramount in Huntington at 7:30 p.m.
- March 17: Enjoy live traditional Irish musicians while you have a pint at Oak Room Tavern in Sea Cliff.