Winter Wine Down: Great Local Indoor Hot Spots for Enjoying Great Wine
Shake off the winter blues and head out to Long Island’s best wine bars and restaurants with wide wine selections.
Though it is warming up outside, it’s still not warm enough to tour the local wineries – but you can take a drive to a local wine bar or restaurant. Wine bars have become very popular on Long Island in that wine connoisseurs can save the drive to East End wineries and enjoy a glass or a bottle in a warm cozy bar or restaurant. Most bars also offer happy hours and wine specials that make for a great afternoon or evening out with friends while also expanding your wine palate.
Take advantage of the opportunity at a bar that specializes in wine to pick something unusual. This is the time to try something new, because you can taste just a glass instead of having to commit to an entire bottle. Many wine bars and restaurants also offer flights, where you can sample wines that may have something in common, such as merlots from various Long Island vineyards.
To find the best wine for your tastes, talk with the bartender. Bartenders at wine bars and restaurants with specialty wines have a great deal of knowledge about the beverages they serve, and can provide you with information as to the origins of your drink and who made it, which greatly adds to the experience.
Here are some local wine bars and restaurants with extensive wine lists to try while you keep warm at the end of winter:
- Vintage25 Wine Bar and Lounge – 7755 Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury
- Rare650 – 650 Jericho Turnpike, Syosset
- Ariana Restaurant – 255 Main Street, Huntington
- Insignia Prime Steak and Sushi – 610 Nesconset Highway, Smithtown
- Grappa Wine Bar – 62 Main Street, Sag Harbor
- A Mano Osteria & Wine Bar – 13550 Main Road, Mattituck
- Volpe Ristorante – 7725 Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury
- Hudson’s Mill – 5599 Merrick Road, Massapequa
- Vitae Restaurant and Wine Bar – 54 New Street, Huntington
- Bottomz Up Bar and Grill – 377 Old Country Road, Carle Place
- One Main Restaurant and Bar – 1 West Main, Babylon
- Blackstone Steakhouse – 10 Pinelawn Road, Melville
- Chop Shop Bar and Grill – 47 East Main Street, Smithtown
- Rockwell’s Bar and Grill – 60 Terry Road, Smithtown
- Perfecto Mundo Latin Fusion Bistro – 1141-1 Jericho Turnpike, Commack
- Pace’s Steak House of Port Jefferson – 318 Wynn Lane, Port Jefferson
- Blond – 691 Route 25A, Miller Place